[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 7.1 Alpha 2

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Feb 23 07:33:28 PST 2009

Ian Robinson wrote:
> Testing PCBSD 7.1 Alpha 2 on an Pentium III HP Vectra VL 400, PIII 1.0 GHz,
> 512 Ram, ATI Radeon, IDE hard disk and DVD.
>
> <1. Install>:
> Smooth install, but like alpha 1 the install routine did NOT install:
>
> source code
> ports collection,
> ktorrent
> KVIrc
> open office
> opera
> pidgen
> the warden
> thuderbird
> vlc
> wine

I hadn't finished getting all those fixed up yet. I'm going to be
working on that this week, so they should be all installing properly for
ALPHA3, or BETA1 :)

> <2.  Desktop New Look>:
> I agree with Bill Leeper who said, "I like the new look. So far it seems to
> have solved the video corruption I was getting in the tray icons."

Correct! It is still possible to see some video corruption in the tray,
but its far less frequent now. I think it'll be 100% solved when QT 4.5
is released, I remember reading somewhere it was a QT bug, and the KDE
guys just wrote some work-around to make it less frequent in KDE 4.2 :)

> <3.  Lost Desktop Icons Without Explanation>:
> Here is an oops.  After about 24 hours all the desktop icons disappeared and
> not because of anything I did. Rebooting did not solve the problem.  The
> kicker menu allows full access.  My wife asked me, "What did you do to the
> computer?  I can't find anything!"  (I was in deep stuff until I put up a
> browser for her to get her email.  Hahaha)
>
> So, I unlocked widgets, went to "add widget" and found no iterations of
> "folder view" running.  I added one, which turned out to be the "home"
> folder.  I changed it to "desktop" and the desktop folder is back in
> business.

Sounds like the folderview got closed for some reason. By default the
desktop starts in "unlocked" mode, you may wish to lock it right away to
prevent this from happening.

BTW, if you right-click and go to appearance settings, then change the
"type" from "desktop" to "folder view" you can have an entire desktop of
icons again, same as in KDE 3.x :) Not sure if anybody noticed that yet.

> [...]
> especially when Open Office was running. In addition, while the computer
> would "wake up" as long as the screen saver was operating, the monitor would
> go black after some time (random time between 4 to 30 hours).  Although the
> monitor's power indicator would change from amber to green after poking the
> mouse or keyboard, the computer would not wake up.  It was, in fact,
> frozen.  I could not even get to a console.  I had to power off.  Then, even
> more strange, a reboot would not cure the black monitor.  If I swapped out
> monitors and rebooted to the login menu, I could then get my regular monitor
> to work.  Or, if I connected my regular monitor to my portable (w/ PCBSD
> 7.0.2 of course) and started the portable, the monitor could be reconnected
> to the first computer and work.  I thought it was a monitor problem, but I
> am sorry to say that testing with Windows does not generate the problem.
>
> I should add that my 7.0.2 ports and packages were updated with #portupgrade
> -arR, so maybe that caused some changes and made the difference.    The only
> other thing I did before noticing the hibernation problem was a temporary
> change of keyboards.  I took an old AT-style keyboard and connected it with
> an AT-to-PS2 adapter.  It worked.  I switched back to the regular PS2
> keyboard after the hibernation problem, but the hibernation problem has not
> gone away.
>
> Excerpts of Contents of xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier     "Monitor0"
>     VendorName     "NOK"
>     ModelName      "445Xpro 125k"
>  ### Comment all HorizSync and VertRefresh values to use DDC:
>     HorizSync    30.0 - 125.0
>  ### Comment all HorizSync and VertRefresh values to use DDC:
>     VertRefresh  50.0 - 150.0
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier      "Card0"
>     Screen           0
>     Option         "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
>     Option         "RenderAccel" "true"
>     Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
>     Option         "UseEvents" "false"
>     Option         "TripleBuffer" "1"
>     Option         "DamageEvents" "1"
>     Option         "BackingStore" "1"
>     Option         "PixmapCacheSize" "70000"
>     Option         "OnDemandVBlankInterrupts" "true"
>     Option         "NoLogo" "True"
>     Driver         "nvidia"
>     VendorName     "nVidia Corporation"
>     BusID      "PCI:64:0:0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier     "Screen0"
>     Device         "Card0"
>     Monitor        "Monitor0"
>     DefaultDepth   24
>     SubSection     "Display"
>         Depth      24
>         Modes      "1920x1200"
>     EndSubSection
>
> I have not tried the nVidia Quadro FX 3400/Nokia monitor with 7.1 alpha yet.

Could you try this again in Alpha2? With the Xorg 7.4 update, lots of
things X-related have been changed, and hibernation may also work
differently.

> <5.  Update Manager>:
> With reference to Bill Leeper's statement ("Like several people have said
> the update manager icon always stays a blue triangle, and when I start it up
> it always gives me the error message:   Could not contact the PC-BSD update
> server...   The thing is when I click OK it actually does contact the server
> and perform the updates."),
>
> I think that it takes "some time" for the update manager to connect
> automatically.  After a couple of installs, there seems to be a pattern
> developing whic is:  If you give it a few hours or overnight, PCBSD will
> make an internet connection, will find the PCBSD system update source, and,
> if there are no system updates or PBI's available, will change the tray icon
> to the green arrow.

Thats fixed now, it was a server side issue, I hadn't added 7.1-ALPHA2
as a valid release yet for which to check updates :P

> <6.  Kwrite/Kate>:
> Kwrite and Kate were not working, but a reboot solved that.
>
> <7.  Dolphin>:
> Dolphin is still slow, but does seem a little faster than alpha 1.
>
> <8.  Terminal>:
> The Terminal program loads very very slow.
>
> <9.  PBI's>:
> I tried a couple of PBIs.  TrueType fonts installed fine.  I tried Webmin
> which installed fine but does not work.  The error message says, "Could not
> connect to localhost.  Unknown error"

Some of our PBI's have been re-formatted to work 100% under 7.1, since
we no longer use the /usr/local folder as our localbase. If one on
pbidir isn't working just yet, go ahead and try out a more recent cut
from here:

http://pbibuild.pcbsd.org/index.php?sort=date&ver=7

I haven't finished porting over webmin yet, but its on my list of TODO's
before we release 7.1 officially :)

> <10.  Okular>:
> Okular works great except it is stuck in a default paper size of A4 and I
> cannot find where to change it.  This is a problem because I have to
> manually feed paper to the printer for A4.  After the document is loaded in
> Okular, changing the paper size as a part of "print properties" does not
> work either -- even when the PDF file being loaded in was created initially
> as an 8 1/2 by 11 letter size.

You may want to checkout bugs.kde.org to see if this has been reported
yet or not. Odds are its a bug specific to okular, and they will get it
fixed for 4.2.1 if enough people report it :)