[PC-BSD Testing] Alpha2 for testing

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Feb 23 06:49:15 PST 2009

Bill Leeper wrote:
> Thanks for fixing the nVidia problem, Kris. This release installed and
> let me set up my 8500 just fine. And I like the new look. So far it
> seems to have solved the video corruption I was getting in the tray
> icons. I did run into a couple of problems, though.
>
> Like several people have said the update manager icon always stays a
> blue triangle, and when I start it up it always gives me the error
> message:   Could not contact the PC-BSD update server...   The thing
> is when I click OK it actually does contact the server and perform the
> updates.

That actually wasn't a bug on the system, rather I hadn't activated the
server to accept 7.1-ALPHA2 as a valid release yet :P I've added it to
the server now, and the updater shouldn't give you these errors anymore.

> Also, there seem to be a lot of printer files missing when you add a
> printer. My brother 5250DN laser has always been listed before but is
> gone now. Fortunately Brother has seen fit to include the PPD file on
> the driver disk so it is easy to add. But it is a bit of a nuisance.
> (I have to admit the same has been said about me more than once).

Maybe the port changed to no longer include these print drivers? Do you
know offhand which port(s) we should include for this particular driver
to be included? I'm not having much luck finding any here :(

> I tried something a bit different with this install. I used the
> Journeled FS and then dud a custom partition on the 3rd SATA drive. I
> just told it to use the first half of the drive so I could use the
> other part for another OS. I will check out the partition table when I
> reboot to see if it worked as it should.

Let me know! :)