[PC-BSD Testing] Alpha2 for testing

Bill Leeper protagonist at charter.net
Fri Feb 20 20:21:51 PST 2009

Thanks for fixing the nVidia problem, Kris. This release installed and
let me set up my 8500 just fine. And I like the new look. So far it
seems to have solved the video corruption I was getting in the tray
icons. I did run into a couple of problems, though.

Like several people have said the update manager icon always stays a
blue triangle, and when I start it up it always gives me the error
message:   Could not contact the PC-BSD update server...   The thing
is when I click OK it actually does contact the server and perform the
updates.

Also, there seem to be a lot of printer files missing when you add a
printer. My brother 5250DN laser has always been listed before but is
gone now. Fortunately Brother has seen fit to include the PPD file on
the driver disk so it is easy to add. But it is a bit of a nuisance.
(I have to admit the same has been said about me more than once).

I tried something a bit different with this install. I used the
Journeled FS and then dud a custom partition on the 3rd SATA drive. I
just told it to use the first half of the drive so I could use the
other part for another OS. I will check out the partition table when I
reboot to see if it worked as it should.

So far a lot of the little problems that have been cropping up in the
previous version seem to have been fixed.