[PC-BSD Testing] Screen sharing

Walt Pawley walt at wump.org
Sun Feb 15 00:29:54 PST 2009

Now that everyone is busy testing 7.1, I have an issue with -

uname -a
FreeBSD compaq 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #0: Mon
Nov 24 20:22:16 EST 2008
root at pcbsdx32-7:/usr/obj/pcbsd-build/cvs/7.0.2-src/sys/PCBSD
i386

- that I can't seem to find any discussion on.

The tale: I ran a 1.5.1 system that was working well. If it had
screen sharing, I was too dumb to find it so I used the x11vnc
port instead. No problems that I could see. I put off upgrading
until 7.0.2 seemed to settle down. I didn't look for screen
sharing. I just installed x11vnc and started trying to use it.

This did not work well. It seemed to behave as though the
sleep/screen saver would kick in on the VNC window after only a
few seconds. It could be awakened just about long enough to
position the mouse and hit a button ... if you knew right where
it was. So, I started looking for a reason. Still haven't found
one but I did discover Screen Sharing.

So, I tried it. It did not behave well either. It seemed to
provide two screen images, offset by about a 1/4-inch, mushed
together. On top of that are flickering, moving color blocks.

The system seems to work well used at the console. No funny
screen artifacts. No quick sleep or screen saver invocations.
I've not changed my viewer, though I experimented with a range
of its settings to see what the behavior would be, and am, in
fact, using it to type this message right now (not via a PC-BSD
machine, however).

Anyone with similar results or sage advice or ???
--

Walter M. Pawley <walt at wump.org>
Wump Research & Company