[PC-BSD Testing] Alpha 1 - Nvidia driver

Sam Fourman Jr. sfourman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 14:06:51 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Gonzalo Martinez-Sanjuan Sanchez
<g.martinez at pcbsd.es> wrote:
> On Monday 09 February 2009 08:30:22 pm James T. Nixon III wrote:
>> I can't get any of the nvidia drivers to load with my GeForce 9800 GT.
>> Works well on the laptop with the intel-3d-enable driver, though.

I can confirm this, I have Several nvidia based cards

8800
7100
7600
6800
5500
Quadro NVS285

none of them load any of the nvidia drivers in the first PC-BSD 7.1 alpha
I can also confirm, that all of the above cards are working on FreeBSD -CURRENT
with xorg 7.4(ports tree from 2-8-2009) I had problems with xorg 7.4 at first

first make sure that hald is enabled in rc.conf, there is a patch in
the ports tree now that fixes the race condition
after that
the main things you need to change in your xorg.conf are

Option         "AutoAddDevices" "Off"

remove anything having anything to do with dri from modules
remove type1 from the modules section

and you are pretty much good to go

Sam Fourman Jr.
Fourman Networks