[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 7.1 Alpha1 is up!

Bill Leeper protagonist at charter.net
Fri Feb 6 19:15:44 PST 2009

On Feb 6, 2009, at 6:20 PM, Kris Moore wrote:

> Bill Leeper wrote:
>> A few quick comments. This version as of now is pretty much useless
>> for me. It installs just fine, but from there it goes downhill.
>>
>> I have a nVidia 8500 video card so I may be running into the problems
>> you talked about.
>>
>> When I boot to the video setup screen it does not automatically
>> detect
>> my card. It defaults to vesa with a resolution of 1024x768 but the
>> monitor is really 1600x1200. It is extremely difficult to change
>> either the driver or the resolution. When I click on the drop down
>> arrow the selection box opens but as soon as I move the mouse off the
>> arrow the box closes up. I did find that my using the cursor keys the
>> selection would move but you can't see it move. You have to move it
>> and then click the mouse and the box will close with the resolution
>> selected that you couldn't see.   :-)   Anyway, by trial and error I
>> managed to select the nVidia driver and the resolution.
>>
>> When I clicked next it tried to set the driver and resolution but
>> came
>> back with an error message about failing in the attempt. When I tried
>> the vesa driver I was actually able to boot into 7.1, but I still had
>> to go through the trial and error method to select vesa and the
>> resolution I wanted. When I finally got booted into 7.1 the top 1" of
>> the screen was corrupted video of all different colors. It was as if
>> the whole thing was moved down the screen by about that much. The
>> task
>> bar at the bottom was off the screen. I could actually make the menu
>> pop up by moving the mouse clear to the bottom in the correct place
>> and clicking. So I was able to bring up the menu but I could never
>> see
>> the task bar.
>>
>> The final major problem was that everything was incredibly slow. I
>> have never seen PCBSD run this slow. When I opened the settings it
>> took a long time. Once in there none of the items would open when I
>> double clicked on them so I could not even try to change any of the
>> settings.
>>
>> Anyway, I will do some more playing and get back with you.
>>

> Bill,
>
> This is all pretty much due to the Xorg update to 7.4 :( There's been
> quite a few patches in ports to fix these issues since I've built the
> alpha, so its possible that it's already been solved. I'll be kicking
> off a new build next week with these patches to start testing it out
> as
> well, since I use pretty much all nvidia for my desktops. I'll let you
> know what I find. Hopefully it won't be that long for us to get all
> these update kinks worked out, we'll get them fixed before any kind of
> release though for sure :)

I pretty much figured that was the case. I managed to snag the DL this
morning before you sent out your email. I have been monitoring the
site for a couple of days now and saw it shortly after you posted it.
Anyway, I will probably run it up a time or two more, but at this
point there is really not much I can do. Thanks for your hard work,
though.

Computers can be fun again
                 format C:\
   Alternatives are out there