[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 7.1 Alpha1 is up!

Bill Leeper protagonist at charter.net
Fri Feb 6 17:46:28 PST 2009

A few quick comments. This version as of now is pretty much useless
for me. It installs just fine, but from there it goes downhill.

I have a nVidia 8500 video card so I may be running into the problems
you talked about.

When I boot to the video setup screen it does not automatically detect
my card. It defaults to vesa with a resolution of 1024x768 but the
monitor is really 1600x1200. It is extremely difficult to change
either the driver or the resolution. When I click on the drop down
arrow the selection box opens but as soon as I move the mouse off the
arrow the box closes up. I did find that my using the cursor keys the
selection would move but you can't see it move. You have to move it
and then click the mouse and the box will close with the resolution
selected that you couldn't see.   :-)   Anyway, by trial and error I
managed to select the nVidia driver and the resolution.

When I clicked next it tried to set the driver and resolution but came
back with an error message about failing in the attempt. When I tried
the vesa driver I was actually able to boot into 7.1, but I still had
to go through the trial and error method to select vesa and the
resolution I wanted. When I finally got booted into 7.1 the top 1" of
the screen was corrupted video of all different colors. It was as if
the whole thing was moved down the screen by about that much. The task
bar at the bottom was off the screen. I could actually make the menu
pop up by moving the mouse clear to the bottom in the correct place
and clicking. So I was able to bring up the menu but I could never see
the task bar.

The final major problem was that everything was incredibly slow. I
have never seen PCBSD run this slow. When I opened the settings it
took a long time. Once in there none of the items would open when I
double clicked on them so I could not even try to change any of the
settings.

Anyway, I will do some more playing and get back with you.