[PC-BSD Testing] Alpha 12152009 Up!

A.Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Thu Dec 17 10:36:37 PST 2009

On 17.12.2009 17:43, Kris Moore wrote:

> [...]
confirm, success install for freed vista partition;

1. Kris, I have here da0s1a with install; it installs system OK, and
after that it tries to install PBIs;
I see in logs something like this:
found cd - da0s1

and mount gives me the same
/cdmnt -> da0s1 instead of da0s1[a]

2. I tried to install from usb flash to laptop pcsbsd, laptop died in
the middle.
just right after that I couldn't boot from usb - after I ran fsck, next
boot was OK.
I suggest to mount all needed files from source (dvd/cd/usb) in forced
readonly mode, to avoid such things.
And probably if device type is usb flash, check if there is need fsck
and maybe run it? :)

>>> Hit an installer bug just last night - I'll see if I can replicate on
>>> the new DVD.
>>> System installs fine, gets up to the display chooser. When I pick ati
>>> or ati-3d (ati has always worked previously on this system) the screen
>>> goes to black and the box completely hangs - can't even switch to any
>>> of the other shells F1-F3 etc. Completely non-responsive -even to
>>> numlock/ctrl+alt+delete/ctrl+alt+bkspace, etc.
>>>
>>> Card is an ATI Xpress 1100 (typically solid under PC-BSD)
>>>
>>> Any ideas? Is there a log I should be able to check to get you more
>>> detailed info after rebooting into emergency shell or something?
>>>

>> I'm just now doing a fresh install with the new alpha but have you given
>> the new ATI driver 6.12.14 a shot yet? Not sure if it's made it in the
>> new alpha yet.
>>
>> Arthur
>>
> Yea, that driver is in the latest Alpha:
>
> xf86-video-ati-6.12.4 X.Org ati display driver
>
> If that driver is causing lockups on your system, with both the 3d / non 3d settings,
> you'll need to either report the issue to Robert Noland over at the FreeBSD x11 mailing list,
> or try to do some manual debugging, by turning off X, creating custom xorg configs, and seeing if you
> can get any crash dump info. He'll probably know more on how to debug it than I do:

> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software

Best Regards
Alexander Yerenkow,
Отдел по борьбе с клиентами и менеджерами