[PC-BSD Testing] Alpha 12152009 Up!

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Dec 17 07:43:00 PST 2009

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Arthur Koziol wrote:

> On 12/16/2009 3:05 PM, Mike Bybee wrote:
>>> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:22:08 -0500 (EST)
>>> From: Kris Moore<kris at pcbsd.org>
>>> Subject: [PC-BSD Testing] Alpha 12152009 Up!
>>> To: testing at lists.pcbsd.org
>>>

>>> Everybody,
>>>
>>> Thank you so much for your continual testing of these PC-BSD 8.0 Alphas! I've just uploaded build 12152009,
>>> which I'm hoping will be the last Alpha release before we move to a regular public Beta. I've fixed
>>> many of the reported issues for this alpha including:
>>>
>>> * Non-working Flash support
>>> * Fixed nvidia driver conflict with "powerd"
>>> * Fixed installing to "free" space on a partition
>>> * Added details button to failure notification of install, along with ability to generate
>>>    an error report, and optionally mail it off the system.
>>> * Cosmetic fixes to SysInstaller
>>> * Includes some additional optional PBI components, such as FF, K3B and Amarok, the full set will
>>>    be available in the beta, after the build server finished churning them out.
>>>
>>> A few of the issues reported in the past day or so are fixed in SVN, and will be in the beta, such as:
>>>
>>> * Missing /media folder
>>> * Hiding the "auto-login user" button when installing FreeBSD
>>> * Skip of integrity check when doing LIVE mode
>>>
>>> In order to prep us to go to public beta, please beat up the installer as much as possible, I would like to
>>> fix as many bugs in it as we can. I'm still aware of some bugs relating to the KDE install and will work
>>> on those during the beta cycle.
>>>
>>> Thanks!!
>>>
>>> Download URL:
>>>
>>> ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/alpha-iso/
>>>

>>> --
>>> Kris Moore
>>> PC-BSD Software
>>>

>> Hit an installer bug just last night - I'll see if I can replicate on
>> the new DVD.
>> System installs fine, gets up to the display chooser. When I pick ati
>> or ati-3d (ati has always worked previously on this system) the screen
>> goes to black and the box completely hangs - can't even switch to any
>> of the other shells F1-F3 etc. Completely non-responsive -even to
>> numlock/ctrl+alt+delete/ctrl+alt+bkspace, etc.
>>
>> Card is an ATI Xpress 1100 (typically solid under PC-BSD)
>>
>> Any ideas? Is there a log I should be able to check to get you more
>> detailed info after rebooting into emergency shell or something?
>>
> I'm just now doing a fresh install with the new alpha but have you given
> the new ATI driver 6.12.14 a shot yet? Not sure if it's made it in the
> new alpha yet.
>
> Arthur

Yea, that driver is in the latest Alpha:

xf86-video-ati-6.12.4 X.Org ati display driver

If that driver is causing lockups on your system, with both the 3d / non 3d settings,
you'll need to either report the issue to Robert Noland over at the FreeBSD x11 mailing list,
or try to do some manual debugging, by turning off X, creating custom xorg configs, and seeing if you
can get any crash dump info. He'll probably know more on how to debug it than I do: