[PC-BSD Testing] followup: keyboard error on live DVD (latest alpha iso)

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Dec 15 06:13:43 PST 2009

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Dru Lavigne wrote:

> Changing to IBM ThinkPad in the System Settings -> Keyboard Layout while in the live DVD fixed it.
>
> But it is strange that the same default setting of Generic 104 key PC works on the same system when
> installed. Anyone have any theories about why?
>
> It may be a transient bug. Out of the dozens of installs I've tried this week, one of them resulted in the
> same keyboard error. In that install, I clicked on another language in the Preferred Layout menu of the
> Keyboard Setup screen, then clicked back to English and moved on with the install. However, the error is
> reproducable every time I use the live DVD on this system.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dru
>
> _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>

> I booted up the live DVD on an IBM R51 laptop and the right side of the keyboard is not mapped correctly. For
> example, typing pcbsd.org into Konqueror looks like this:
>
> *cbsd.6rg
>
> and typing ifconfig into konsole looks like this:
>
> 5fc6nf5g
>
> I suspect it is not loading the correct keyboard layout. PC-BSD installs fine on this system using the
> default keyboard setup settings.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dru
> !DSPAM:1,4b26d7bd20144171720625!

That bug sounds like your laptops numlock key is enabled, and you are tryping the numlock pad numbers
as a result. Do you have a key to disable numlock on that system? I just put a call in for the LIVE
mode to run "numlockx off" when starting KDE, that should help take care of the issue in the future :)