[PC-BSD Testing] today's installer questions

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Dec 14 08:20:10 PST 2009

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009, Dru Lavigne wrote:

> does install partition have to be a primary?

For now it seems so, unless FreeBSD changes to allow installing to non-primary partitions at some-point :)

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/install-pre.html

> if type is FreeBSD and Source is network, the installer still selects the PC-BSD mirror. should FreeBSD
> installers be advised to manually select their FreeBSD mirror?

No, we will be mirroring the FreeBSD release on our mirrors when we make it available. This is because
we use a different style of installer archive, which is far easier to work with / fast to extract, and
lets us visually indicate the install progress via the GUI progress bar. So the user would simply
need to select one of our public mirrors, and the install will commence.