[PC-BSD Testing] general installer questions

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri Dec 11 10:58:43 PST 2009

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009, Dru Lavigne wrote:

> > Recommended Requirements
> > Pentium 4 or higher
> > 30GB Disk Space
> > 512MB of RAM
> > 3D card
>
> Any recommendations regarding the video card to get the most out of PC-BSD? Are there any PBIs (e.g. games)
> that work best on certain cards?
>

> > I'm hoping to have another alpha available next week for you to play with, and it'll include some if not
> > all of these PBIs.
>

> Awesome timing!
>
> A few more installer questions:
>
> - any plans to add Help buttons to the installation screens in time for 8.0?

Not at the moment, although I may add some more help / tips in the text. I would like to document
much of the install in the Wiki if possible.

> - the enable encryption option during disk setup is GBDE? can it include / or swap?

The encryption is using GELI at the moment, and it does support encrypting swap and "/" along
with the other file-systems. It needs some testing, but I did have it working here, ecrypting
pretty much everything, gjournal, UFS, ZFS, etc.

> - is the default auto setup always these values (or does it depend upon the size of the disk/partition
> selected)?
> 2GB /, 2GB swap, 1GB /var, rest to /usr

When installing the sizes will vary a bit, depending upon the disk selcted. For example, we try to do
swap = 2 x RAM, if there is room, also we try to use a 2GB /, 1GB Var, and rest to /usr. However,
you can manually shrink "/" down to 1GB when doing PC-BSD, and 512MB when doing FreeBSD, but our
"auto-defaults" do not do that.