[PC-BSD Testing] general installer questions

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri Dec 11 09:49:24 PST 2009

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, Dru Lavigne wrote:

> Kris questions for the installation chapter of the book:
>
> Is there a list yet of what's new in 8? if not, can you send a quick overview of the biggies you want
> mentioned in the book? So far I have: changes to software manager, life preserver backup utility, 64 bit
> NVIDIA, new installer and installer backend

Sure!

Software Manager Changes
Life Preserver Tool
64bit Nvidia
Flash 10
New Installer Front + Backend
Fixes to System tools
Update to KDE 4.3.4
The new USB stuff in FBSD 8.0 :)

> Is this correct for 8.0 min requirements: 10 GB for PC-BSD, 4 GB for FreeBSD; any recommendations for 8's
> minimum for CPU and RAM?

Here's what I would put for min / recommended:

PC-BSD
Min Requirements
Pentium 2
10GB Disk Space
256MB of RAM

Recommended Requirements
Pentium 4 or higher
30GB Disk Space
512MB of RAM
3D card

I'm not sure what the base requirements are for FreeBSD 8.0, but with our installer, we need a
minimum of 4GB disk space, 256MB ram to run the install.

> Any plans to add component selection to FreeBSD install (e.g. minimal, developer, full, etc. that FreeBSD
> users are used to)?

Not at the moment, right now we simply do a base install of FreeBSD, plus you can install ports / src. If
there is demand for the other options we may add some of them down the road.

> Any idea of the time frame when the select components items will be close to final? I'd like to include a
> screenshot of this screen but have a hard deadline of very early January. For now, do you know which PBIs
> you're planning on including?

I've just gotten a few of the PBIs for 8.0 created that I plan on including in the next ALPHA. Right now
my list is looking like this:

Amarok
Firefox
Gimp
K3B
OpenOffice (English Version)
Pidgin
Thunderbird
VLC

I'm hoping to have another alpha available next week for you to play with, and it'll include some if not
all of these PBIs.