[PC-BSD Testing] Testing Latest Alpha 12062009

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Dec 10 12:48:46 PST 2009

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Mike Bybee <mbybee at dometrilogy.com> wrote:
>>> Message: 1
>>> Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 11:07:51 -0600
>>> From: Arthur Koziol <A-Koziol at neiu.edu>
>>> Subject: [PC-BSD Testing] Testing Latest Alpha 12062009
>>> To: PC-BSD Testing list <testing at lists.pcbsd.org>
>>>
>>> Kris,
>>>
>>> Here's some stuff I found while kicking the tires on the new alpha
>>>
>>> 1. Printer Config: Clicking on the checkbox for "Make Default" and
>>> clicking "Apply" says "The password may not be correct." I attribute
>>> this to not being in Admin Mode but right now I can't find a way to do
>>> that (as was in 7.1.1 when running System Settings prompted you for root
>>> password).
>>>
>>> 2. System Settings icon user to be in Kicker > System and ask for root
>>> password when run but it's absent now. I *think* you said this was by
>>> design for the time being a few e-mails back, right?
>>>
>>> 3. The "System Settings" icon on the taskbar (between Dolphin and
>>> Konsole) and the one in Kicker > System are the same but one is called
>>> System and the other is called System Settings. Might confuse some
>>> (i.e., is it System or System Settings?)
>>>
>>> 4. Already reported this but for those who may have missed it, clicking
>>> USB Devices in Profiler crashes and is likely due to the new USB stack
>>> in 8.0. KDE is probably not in parity with the change.
>>>
>>> 5. KHangman appears twice:
>>>
>>> A) Applications > Education > KHang
>>> B) Applications > Games > KHang
>>>
>>> 6. Blinker appears twice:
>>>
>>> A) Applications > Educational > Blinker
>>> B)Applications > Games for Kids > Blinker
>>>
>>> 7. On-screen Creature appears twice:
>>>
>>> A) Applications > Games > AMOR
>>> B) Applications > Games > Toys > AMOR
>>>
>>> 8. Tea Cooker appears twice:
>>>
>>> A) Applications > Games > KTeaTime
>>> B) Applications > Games > Toys > KTeaTime
>>>
>>> 9. Lokalize appears twice:
>>>
>>> A) Applications > Development > lokalize
>>> B) Applications > Office > lokalize
>>>
>>> 10. Desktop Sharing appears twice
>>>
>>> A) Applications > Graphics > okular
>>> B) Applications > System > okular
>>>
>>> 11. Desktop Sharing appears twice
>>>
>>> A) Applications > Internet > krfb
>>> B) Applications > System > krfb
>>>
>>> 12. Personal Time Tracker appears twice
>>>
>>> A) Applications > Office > KTimeTracker
>>> B) Applications > Utility > KTimeTracker
>>>
>>> 13. Applications > System Add & Remove Software asks for root password
>>> on launch but then greets you with the button "Run in Admin. Mode".
>>> Software Manager does the same thing but omits the "Run in Admin. Mode"
>>> step. I think you said this was under construction but it's a bit
>>> redundant since one supersedes the function of the other.
>>>
>>> 14. Manage Printing no longer hangs when setting options via Konqueror
>>> as was in 7.1.1. Sweet!
>>>
>>> 15. Clipboard tool doesn't seem to launch.
>>>
>>> Applications > Utility > Klipper
>>>
>>> 16. Enable Desktop Effects stays on and effects work on my Dell abuse
>>> box (Optiplex GX280 with i915 embedded VGA). I attribute this to KDE
>>> 4.3.4. Screen savers finally work again too. Whee! Here's hoping XServer
>>> 1.6.5 and Mesa 7.6 (plus the Intel 2.9.1 drivers!) get ported over soon.
>>>
>>> more as it comes,
>>> Arthur
>>>

>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 2
>>> Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 11:11:42 -0600
>>> From: Arthur Koziol <A-Koziol at neiu.edu>
>>> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] Testing Latest Alpha 12062009
>>> To: PC-BSD Testing list <testing at lists.pcbsd.org>

>>> Small correction:
>>>
>>> 5. KHangman appears twice:
>>>
>>> A) Applications > Education > Languages> KHang
>>> B) Applications > Games for Kids > KHang
>>>
>>> Arthur
>>>

>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 3
>>> Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 11:14:33 -0600
>>> From: Arthur Koziol <A-Koziol at neiu.edu>
>>> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] Testing Latest Alpha 12062009
>>> To: PC-BSD Testing list <testing at lists.pcbsd.org>

>>> Another small correction:
>>>
>>> 10. Document Viewer appears twice
>>>
>>> A) Applications > Graphics > okular
>>> B) Applications > System > okular
>>>
>>> Arthur
>>>

>> I can confirm many of these on my fresh install - especially the login
>> wallpaper corruption mentioned earlier (I'm at 1280x800) on ati3d.
>>
>> The new installer looked FANTASTIC. I had some difficulty finding my
>> time zone in the list, since it seems to be strictly alphabetical or
>> something.
>> Install was very quick and smooth, even though I resized partitions,
>> set encryption on swap and /usr, and installed the boot loader. This
>> did not work correctly on the previous Alpha (the boot loader, that is
>> - I had to set it up via the manual fdisk) and the partitioning didn't
>> work properly at all on 7.
>>
>> I noticed a weirdness with PowerDevil - when I go to the Power
>> Management tab, it says there is a problem. The problem text is
>> "ConsoleKit was not found active on your PC, or PowerDevil cannot
>> contact it...". Nothing in dmesg, or in the install logs.
>>
>> Two further things - Under System Settings -> Advanced -> Login
>> Manager, there is no way to change anything. This was the case under 7
>> and the previous alpha as well, but can it be tweaked so that we can
>> run it in admin mode like the packages?
>>
>> Another thing I noticed - when I plug in a USB device, it used to take
>> a REALLY long time. At least 2 minutes from when dmesg detected it to
>> when it would show up in the 'last plugged' notification. Now it's
>> almost instant. Not sure why, but it's awesome :)
>>
>> Thank you as always - this is rapidly becoming my favorite distro.
>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Mike Bybee
>>

> Noticed something else - several PBIs installed fine via the normal
> browser inside the installer, but the ones for Firefox and Firefox
> Wine both fail to download. Downloading them via konquerer works fine,
> and they install normally. Anyone else seeing this?

> [...]

Mike,

The build-server is starting to chug away on PBI's for 8.0 now, the ones on the pbidir site are
mostly for 7.x still, and not all of them may work properly on 8.0.

You can grab 8.0 ones here:

http://pbibuild64.pcbsd.org/index.php?ver=8
http://pbibuild.pcbsd.org/index.php?ver=8