Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Dec 10 12:44:01 PST 2009

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, Ian Robinson wrote:

> Kris Moore replied to Ian Robinson's comment about install failure and no files in /usr saying,
>
> >Ian,
> >
> >I'm guessing that the glabel for /usr wasn't showing up properly, causing
> >it to fail mounting. I'm digging into this now, and will try to have it
> >fixed for another alpha soon.
>
> Reply:
>
> Kris
>
> I reinstalled PCBSD using the same DVD and this time it installed completely and is running.
>
> The install, however, did not auto-detect video card (ATI Radeon QY RV100 7000/VE) and it did accept a manual
> selection of the ati or the radeon drivers either.  Right now I am running vesa just to be able to play
> around.  The previous alpha (20091029) liked that ATI card while it choked on an NVidia Ti4200.   I'll play
> around with xorg.conf to see if I am missing something.
>
> I have no files with the name  /tmp/.pc-sysinstall/pc-sysinstall.log or /tmp/sys-install.cfg.  I assume they
> get deleted after the install "succeeds."

I've just changed this now, after a successful install the log file gets copied onto the disk, and ends up at
/pc-sysinstall.log. Before it was just being kept in the ramdisk during the install.

> New Topic:  PCBSD 8.0-Alpha 20091206 in VirtualBox Successful
>
> An install of the newest alpha in VirtualBox was successful.  At the conclusion of the install I did get an
> error message saying:
>
> System Installer
>
> The install failed with Error:1.  Reboot system now?
>
> I rebooted and the virtual machine started without any problem (but you must remember to disable, remove, or
> replace the virtual machine's mounting of the iso file or you will just recycle the install routine).
>

> New Topic:  Screen Resolution in VirtualBox running FreeBSD/PCBSD..
>
> Here is a question about VirtualBox and its resolution.  Since FreeBSD does not have a guest additions
> module, you are limited to using either a vesa driver or a VirtualBox Graphics Adapter from Innotek with a
> driver called "fbdev."
>
> Generally, the higher the screen resolution, the larger the screen display (i.e., 1024x768 results in a
> bigger screen than 800x600).  Both seem to be limited to a max of 1024x768.  However, here is the rub --
> Kris' PCBSD video driver routine used to configure X during the 1st reboot produces an even larger VirtualBox
> Screen than 1024x768.  How does Kris do this? What driver, what settings?

Magic!!

Actually I'm pretty sure its just the vesa driver, and it sets some monitor values to try and force xorg
to run in a higher res. If you play with it, check /etc/X11/xorg.conf afterwards and you can get examples of
what its doing. Or when the XGUI comes up, right click, bring up xterm, and look at the /etc/X11/xorg.conf
there to see what its doing as well.