[PC-BSD Testing] Testing Latest Alpha 12062009

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Dec 10 12:24:26 PST 2009

> Kris,
>
> Here's some stuff I found while kicking the tires on the new alpha
>
> 1. Printer Config: Clicking on the checkbox for "Make Default" and
> clicking "Apply" says "The password may not be correct." I attribute
> this to not being in Admin Mode but right now I can't find a way to do
> that (as was in 7.1.1 when running System Settings prompted you for root
> password).

Right now for some reason I can't save any printer configs here, just says password is incorrect, but never
asks for it. I'll have to do some KDE bug-hunting with this one, see where the failure is coming
from. Maybe they expect cups to be setup to allow user access without root.

> 2. System Settings icon user to be in Kicker > System and ask for root
> password when run but it's absent now. I *think* you said this was by
> design for the time being a few e-mails back, right?

Correct, we removed this, since it caused all kinds of problems, and system-settings wasn't designed
to run that way from what I understood.

> 3. The "System Settings" icon on the taskbar (between Dolphin and
> Konsole) and the one in Kicker > System are the same but one is called
> System and the other is called System Settings. Might confuse some
> (i.e., is it System or System Settings?)

On mine kicker shows System Settings. I noticed on LiveDVD mode, it doesn't show that though,
I'll take a look into it.

> 4. Already reported this but for those who may have missed it, clicking
> USB Devices in Profiler crashes and is likely due to the new USB stack
> in 8.0. KDE is probably not in parity with the change.

Korrect, fails here as well :)

> 5. KHangman appears twice:
>
> A) Applications > Education > KHang
> B) Applications > Games > KHang
>
> 6. Blinker appears twice:
>
> A) Applications > Educational > Blinker
> B)Applications > Games for Kids > Blinker
>
> 7. On-screen Creature appears twice:
>
> A) Applications > Games > AMOR
> B) Applications > Games > Toys > AMOR
>
> 8. Tea Cooker appears twice:
>
> A) Applications > Games > KTeaTime
> B) Applications > Games > Toys > KTeaTime
>
> 9. Lokalize appears twice:
>
> A) Applications > Development > lokalize
> B) Applications > Office > lokalize
>
> 10. Desktop Sharing appears twice
>
> A) Applications > Graphics > okular
> B) Applications > System > okular
>
> 11. Desktop Sharing appears twice
>
> A) Applications > Internet > krfb
> B) Applications > System > krfb
>
> 12. Personal Time Tracker appears twice
>
> A) Applications > Office > KTimeTracker
> B) Applications > Utility > KTimeTracker

I checked, and the .desktop files for these apps specifies them in multiple categories. From
what I can tell this is by design, but is rather annoying :P

> 13. Applications > System Add & Remove Software asks for root password
> on launch but then greets you with the button "Run in Admin. Mode".
> Software Manager does the same thing but omits the "Run in Admin. Mode"
> step. I think you said this was under construction but it's a bit
> redundant since one supersedes the function of the other.

Fixed!

> 14. Manage Printing no longer hangs when setting options via Konqueror
> as was in 7.1.1. Sweet!
>
> 15. Clipboard tool doesn't seem to launch.

Is it already running on your system? Mine is always in the tray by default, and it won't launch
a 2nd copy :)