[PC-BSD Testing] remaining pbi build questions

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Dec 9 07:00:24 PST 2009

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, Dru Lavigne wrote:

> Can you provide an example of when one would use OTHERPORT in pbi.conf?

Sure! A great example would be thunderbird. We build the target port, but
also want some additional features / addons, so we set OTHERPORT like such:

They are fairly self-explainitory, but gconf2 / esound is for sound to work
in TB for notifications, and the qtcurve-gtk2 port adds theme data to GTK
so that it looks like a KDE app, which makes it nice on our system :)

> MAKEOPTS in pbi.conf is confusing. Are we talking about passing options to
> /var/db/ports/portname/options or modifying /etc/make.conf?

MAKEOPTS is for /etc/make.conf specifically. For example, if I want to build
an app that has an optional GUI, I can set MAKEOPTS="WITH_GTK2=YES" or
whatever knob our target port needs.

> feature request: comment out the lines in copy-files as it is rarely used
> and saves the user from having to modify the default values

Which copy-files do you mean? Do I have an example somewhere which already
has data in it? Normally it should be empty to begin with.