[PC-BSD Testing] Testing Latest Alpha 12062009

Mike Bybee mbybee at dometrilogy.com
Tue Dec 8 16:28:15 PST 2009

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 11:07:51 -0600
> From: Arthur Koziol <A-Koziol at neiu.edu>
> Subject: [PC-BSD Testing] Testing Latest Alpha 12062009
> To: PC-BSD Testing list <testing at lists.pcbsd.org>
>
> Kris,
>
> Here's some stuff I found while kicking the tires on the new alpha
>
> 1. Printer Config: Clicking on the checkbox for "Make Default" and
> clicking "Apply" says "The password may not be correct." I attribute
> this to not being in Admin Mode but right now I can't find a way to do
> that (as was in 7.1.1 when running System Settings prompted you for root
> password).
>
> 2. System Settings icon user to be in Kicker > System and ask for root
> password when run but it's absent now. I *think* you said this was by
> design for the time being a few e-mails back, right?
>
> 3. The "System Settings" icon on the taskbar (between Dolphin and
> Konsole) and the one in Kicker > System are the same but one is called
> System and the other is called System Settings. Might confuse some
> (i.e., is it System or System Settings?)
>
> 4. Already reported this but for those who may have missed it, clicking
> USB Devices in Profiler crashes and is likely due to the new USB stack
> in 8.0. KDE is probably not in parity with the change.
>
> 5. KHangman appears twice:
>
> A) Applications > Education > KHang
> B) Applications > Games > KHang
>
> 6. Blinker appears twice:
>
> A) Applications > Educational > Blinker
> B)Applications > Games for Kids > Blinker
>
> 7. On-screen Creature appears twice:
>
> A) Applications > Games > AMOR
> B) Applications > Games > Toys > AMOR
>
> 8. Tea Cooker appears twice:
>
> A) Applications > Games > KTeaTime
> B) Applications > Games > Toys > KTeaTime
>
> 9. Lokalize appears twice:
>
> A) Applications > Development > lokalize
> B) Applications > Office > lokalize
>
> 10. Desktop Sharing appears twice
>
> A) Applications > Graphics > okular
> B) Applications > System > okular
>
> 11. Desktop Sharing appears twice
>
> A) Applications > Internet > krfb
> B) Applications > System > krfb
>
> 12. Personal Time Tracker appears twice
>
> A) Applications > Office > KTimeTracker
> B) Applications > Utility > KTimeTracker
>
> 13. Applications > System Add & Remove Software asks for root password
> on launch but then greets you with the button "Run in Admin. Mode".
> Software Manager does the same thing but omits the "Run in Admin. Mode"
> step. I think you said this was under construction but it's a bit
> redundant since one supersedes the function of the other.
>
> 14. Manage Printing no longer hangs when setting options via Konqueror
> as was in 7.1.1. Sweet!
>
> 15. Clipboard tool doesn't seem to launch.
>
> Applications > Utility > Klipper
>
> 16. Enable Desktop Effects stays on and effects work on my Dell abuse
> box (Optiplex GX280 with i915 embedded VGA). I attribute this to KDE
> 4.3.4. Screen savers finally work again too. Whee! Here's hoping XServer
> [...]

I can confirm many of these on my fresh install - especially the login
wallpaper corruption mentioned earlier (I'm at 1280x800) on ati3d.

The new installer looked FANTASTIC. I had some difficulty finding my
time zone in the list, since it seems to be strictly alphabetical or
something.
Install was very quick and smooth, even though I resized partitions,
set encryption on swap and /usr, and installed the boot loader. This
did not work correctly on the previous Alpha (the boot loader, that is
- I had to set it up via the manual fdisk) and the partitioning didn't
work properly at all on 7.

I noticed a weirdness with PowerDevil - when I go to the Power
Management tab, it says there is a problem. The problem text is
"ConsoleKit was not found active on your PC, or PowerDevil cannot
contact it...". Nothing in dmesg, or in the install logs.

Two further things - Under System Settings -> Advanced -> Login
Manager, there is no way to change anything. This was the case under 7
and the previous alpha as well, but can it be tweaked so that we can
run it in admin mode like the packages?

Another thing I noticed - when I plug in a USB device, it used to take
a REALLY long time. At least 2 minutes from when dmesg detected it to
when it would show up in the 'last plugged' notification. Now it's
almost instant. Not sure why, but it's awesome :)

Thank you as always - this is rapidly becoming my favorite distro.
--
Thanks,
Mike Bybee