[PC-BSD Testing] module submission

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Dec 8 13:12:11 PST 2009

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, Dru Lavigne wrote:

> > If somebody submits a module to the pbi-dev list, we'll take a look at it and commit to the SVN tree. When
> > a user starts submitting several of them, we'll often try to throw a commit bit their way, so they can
> > continue to commit directly :)
> >
> > The PBIUPDATE should be set to "http://update.pbidir.com" for modules we put in SVN, which ensures that
> > any update checks will query our servers automatically.
>
> Oh, I see, that knob only makes sense on the build server and basically committers control that setting. One
> last question regarding this setting, after the build is triggered does the build server reset that value
> back to the original or does it continue to build until the committer changes it back?

The server uses that variable, but doesn't change it or anything on its own. We just make sure to set
it to that URL when we commit to our SVN repo. However, if somebody sets up their own building system,
they can of course change that URL to some other online-update server, if they are running one :)

> This is what I have written regarding the submission process--let me know if this is not how you want people
> to do it :-)
>
> ---
>
> When you are satisfied that your PBI is working correctly, create a compressed archive of its directory. The
> following example creates a compressed archive named /conspire.tar.bz2
>
> # cd /pbi-build/modules/irc
> # tar cvf /conspire.tar  .
> # bzip2 /conspire.tar
>
> Upload the archive to a publicly available server. If you don't have a server of your own, contact the leader
> of the PBI development team(1) for credentials to the PBI ftp server. Once the PBI is uploaded, send an email
> to the Pbi-dev mailing list(2). Your email should include:
>
> * a subject line of ?submit module category/portname? (e.g. submit module irc/conspire)
>
> * the body should contain the location where testers can download the archive for the module in order to
> build and test it

That sounds good! Its really quite simple :)

> ---
>
> BTW, I ended up creating the conspire PBI while testing this chapter--I will have to find time to submit it
> :-) The PBI Builder is one slick program which has not gotten the press it deserves.....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dru

Awesome! Go ahead and submit the tarball, or send it to me directly if you like. I'll be happy to give it
a test-whirl and commit to SVN for you. I'm glad you link the app though, not many people know about it, but it really makes it easy to build PBIs from a port :)