[PC-BSD Testing] Alpha 8.0-12062009 is available!

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Tue Dec 8 11:21:04 PST 2009

On Dec 8, 2009, at 6:45 AM, Kris Moore wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, Josh Paetzel wrote:
>
>> I installed the x64 version in VMWare Fusion.
>>
>> Had the following three issues:
>>
>> The only installation method that would work was Use Entire Disk, which then proceeded to create s1 and use that instead of partitioning the raw device.  Attempting to install to a slice failed.
>>

> Josh, Can you try this again, and look at the log file after it fails?
>
>> After I installed the system failed to boot, dumping me at the mountroot prompt.  Giving it the proper root device kicked it enough to boot
>>

> Check /dev/label/*, did a rootfs0 label get created for your root device?
> If not, do you know of any reason a label would dissapear even though
> "glabel label rootfs /dev/ad0s1a" returns success?
>
>> There was a syntax error in rc.conf that stopped the system from going to multiuser.
>>
>> ifconfig_Intel(R)="DHCP"
>
> I think I know where this is coming from, can you try this? Boot in vmware,
> and open xterm when you get to the installer. Then run:
>
> /PCBSD/pc-sysinstall/pc-sysinstall detect-nics
>
> What does that return? I'm guessing there is some error in the output

em0: <Intel (R) PRO/1000 Network Connection 6.9.14>

I redid the installation, this time the label for rootfs0 was fine.

Still had the syntax error in rc.conf though with the weird ifconfig line.

I also confirmed the problem with installing to a slice.  That seems to bomb out too.  Picking the use entire disk option does slice the disk though, instead of partitioning the drive directly.

So I end up with what I want, da0s1a, even though it seems a bit mislabeled.

Thanks,

Josh Paetzel