[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.0 Alpha 20091206 x86 - Install Failure & Installer Comments

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Dec 8 06:49:05 PST 2009

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, Ian Robinson wrote:

> The computer was a plain vanilla HP Vectra VL400, PIII @ 1 GHZ, 512 Mb RAM,
> ATI AGP video.
>
> Installing PCBSD 8.0 Alpha 20091206 x86 failed after the first reboot (i.e.
> the reboot which leads to configuring video & xorg.conf).  The installation
> screens gave no warning of a pending problem..
>
> The boot process failed right after probing the CD drives (acd0 and acd1)
> and then waited indefinitely.  However, the computer was not frozen and I
> could press enter to get to the root prompt.
>
> I looked over the hard disk and was surprised to see there were no files
> installed into /usr.  Perhaps this was a bad burn, so I will burn another
> disk, reinstall, and report.  Is it also possible that the slice was not
> mounted because the start-up process had not proceeded far enough?
>
> I will re-burn, reinstall, and report.
>
> The new installer was nice but the color scheme is rather bland and subdued
> compared with the "old" installer.  Of course I am commenting on something
> that is merely cosmetic and not a functional complaint.  Function was just
> fine.  However, I think the layouts of certain screens have the potential to
> cause missteps, confusion, oversight, or omission by novice users attempting
> to install PC-BSD.

Ian,

I'm guessing that the glabel for /usr wasn't showing up properly, causing
it to fail mounting. I'm digging into this now, and will try to have it
fixed for another alpha soon.

Also, thanks for the detailed GUI suggestions! I'm going to be doing some
general cleanup on it later this week, and I'll use your suggestions to help
improve it as much as possible :)