[PC-BSD Testing] first round of PBI builder questions

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Dec 7 09:06:29 PST 2009

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, Dru Lavigne wrote:

> >From today's writing:
>
> "Trac server" and "Module's currently in svn" links on http://www.pcbsd.org/content/view/48/30/ are broken.

Fixed!

> When modifying pbi-build/modules/*/copy-files, should you include everything in the port's pkg-plist or just bin/ and share/ ? More to the
> point, what is the difference between overlay-dir and copy-files? e.g. does creating dirs in overlay-dir ensure everything in pkg-plist
> gets populated? If so, why do we need copy-files?

Here's how that works:

Right now, your target port gets all its files copied into the resulting PBI automatically. If you want to include all
the files from any other dependant ports, you can do so in the pbi.conf, using the PBIAUTOPOPULATE_PORTS variable, such
as we did in this module:

http://trac.pcbsd.org/browser/pbibuild/modules/audio/rhythmbox/pbi.conf

Using these two methods, you shouldn't need to use copy-files as often, however it does come in handy if you need
to selectively copy some file / directory into your PBI, without wanting or needing an entire ports file-tree.

As for overlay-dir, that is simply a place to create files which will be copied into the resulting PBI's directory
structure, such as default icons, startup scripts, etc. You don't need to worry about creating dirs, or skel stuff
in overlay-dir, it is simply a way to include some extra files from SVN into the resulting PBI.

> Should default swap be bigger? I keep running out of swap space when running pbibuild.sh on latest alpha.

The new installer does that, it gives swapspace of 2*Memory by default, unless you manually specify another size.

> /pbicreator/PBC included with 8.x i386 version of PBI Builder is the 64 bit version instead of the 32 bit version

Ahh, sorry about that, the pbi-build/pbicreator had a lot of leftover files not necessary to execution, which have been
cleaned up now