Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 21:35:39 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:00 PM, <testing-request at lists.pcbsd.org> wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>   1. Re: Removing Stale OOo v2.4.2 PBI from Update     Manager (Kris Moore)
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 17:47:36 -0500
> From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com>
> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] Removing Stale OOo v2.4.2 PBI from
>        Update  Manager
> To: PC-BSD Testing list <testing at lists.pcbsd.org>
>
> Ian Robinson wrote:
> > Update Manager in  PCBSD 7.1.1 constantly states there is an upgrade to
> > OpenOffice-EN 2.4.2_3 even though I installed OpenOffice 3.x some time
> ago.
> > I believe OOo v2.4 is left over from the time when PCBSD 7.x came with
> OOo
> > v2.4.  I want to get rid of the "update" notice for a PBI I no longer
> use.
> >
> > Ordinarily one can just delete the program directory in
> > /Programs/<Application_Name>.  On my system, OpenOffice-EN3.0.1 is listed
> > and there  is a corresponding directory for it at
> > /Programs/OpenOffice-EN3.0.1.  However, I cannot find an entry in
> /Programs
> > for OOo v2.4.
> >
> > Another way is the use the "Software & Updates" tool at the PBI Manager
> tab,
> > but it likewise does not list OOo v2.4 in the inventory of PBIs.
> >
> > I do have a hidden OOo directories in my directory -- .openoffice.org(where
> > v3 is located) and .openoffice.org2 (where v2 is located).  In order to
> > disable the Update Manager's reference to v2.4, can I simply remove the
> > hidden directory at /usr/home/.openoffice.org2?  Alternatively is there a
> > better way to rid myself of the pesky reminder?
> >
> > Ian Robinson
> > Salem, Ohio
> >

> Ian,
>
> The odds are that for some reason the OO 2.4 entry didn't get removed
> from the installed PBIs conf file. Take a look at this file on your system:
>
> /Programs/.config/ProgList
>
> Look for a duplicate OpenOffice entry in there, and remove its entire
> section. Be careful though, you don't want to mess up the formatting of
> this file if possible. Best make a backup copy first :)
>
> --
>
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> http://www.pcbsd.com

Dear Kris,

I found the file, and it was no surprise to find its contents matched the
list of installed PBI's.  However there was no OO 2.4 entry.  Only the entry
for OO 3.x

[ Program Entry ]
ProgName: OpenOffice-EN
ProgVer: 3.0.1

etc.

Thus the problem is coming from somewhere else and remains at large.
Perhaps it is only an anomaly, and it is certainly more trivial than
critical, and even less important now that you are working hard to bring out
PCBSD  8.0. So, please don't waste time on the problem and do the more
important work towards 8.0.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio