[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 7.1.1 - Can't use console - additional information

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 17:27:20 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Ian Robinson <fitchkendall at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm have a strange problem when going to console (Ctrl-Alt-F1, F2, etc.).
> The problem is 100% repeatable.
>
> Sometimes when I jump to ttyv0 I see the last of the messages with "Login:"
> at the bottom.  However you can't log in.  You cannot do anything because it
> does not react to keystrokes (such as typing "root" or hitting the "Enter"
> key.
>
> Sometimes I see a black screen with a white rectangle in the upper left
> hand corner.  It does not react to keystrokes either.
>
> I cannot ever remember I time when I had either situation.
>
> If I try to go to ttyv1, ttyv2, etc. I will see no reference to ttyv1,
> ttyv2, etc but see only the "frozen" ttyv0 or the white rectangle.  I can,
> however, jump back to X (PCBSD) with Ctrl-Alt-F9 without any problem.
>

> Ian Robinson
> Salem, Ohio

Here is some more information on this problem.

If you restart to the welcome screen and select the reset video settings
choice, you can get to ttyv0, ttyv1, ttyv2, etc. from X and log in as root.
However,  you still cannot log in to console after PCBSD is fully loaded.
Rebooting makes no difference either.

The video card is an Nvidia Quadro FX3400 using Nvidia driver 185.18.29

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio