[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 7.1.1 - Can't use console

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 16:50:42 PDT 2009

I'm have a strange problem when going to console (Ctrl-Alt-F1, F2, etc.).
The problem is 100% repeatable.

Sometimes when I jump to ttyv0 I see the last of the messages with "Login:"
at the bottom.  However you can't log in.  You cannot do anything because it
does not react to keystrokes (such as typing "root" or hitting the "Enter"
key.

Sometimes I see a black screen with a white rectangle in the upper left hand
corner.  It does not react to keystrokes either.

I cannot ever remember I time when I had either situation.

If I try to go to ttyv1, ttyv2, etc. I will see no reference to ttyv1,
ttyv2, etc but see only the "frozen" ttyv0 or the white rectangle.  I can,
however, jump back to X (PCBSD) with Ctrl-Alt-F9 without any problem.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio