[PC-BSD Testing] changes to loader.conf

Fabrizio Parrella fabrizio at bibivu.com
Sun Apr 26 18:46:51 PDT 2009

I was installing phpeclipse and this message came up:
---------------------------------
Gamin will only provide realtime notification of changes for at most n
files,
where n is the minimum value between (kern.maxfiles * 0.7)
and
(kern.maxfilesperproc - 200). Beyond that limit, files will be
polled.

If you often open several large folders with Nautilus, you might want to
increase the kern.maxfiles tunable (you do not need to set
kern.maxfilesperproc, since it is computed at boot time from kern.maxfiles).

For a typical desktop, add the following line to /boot/loader.conf, then
reboot the system:

    kern.maxfiles="25000"
---------------------------------

now, I have to say that I do not understand much about the maxfiles*0.7
or what this is trying to say, but seems like that we should up the
possible number of openable files to 25000.  This may also solve some
issues that other ports have (like qsvn)

another message that I go a lot is that:
pkg_add: warning: package 'XXX' requires 'libxcb-1.2_1', but
'libxcb-1.2' is installed
pkg_add: warning: package 'XXX' requires 'libX11-1.2.1,1', but
'libX11-1.2,1' is installed

Fabry