[PC-BSD Testing] wifi issue

Rod Clark sc at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Apr 24 05:51:53 PDT 2009

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Fabrizio Parrella wrote:
> --change kern.hz from 100 to 200
> I read someplace that the new 8.0 will have that value defaulting to 10.

Something else that recently helped get my Atheros wifi s/n
ratios up a few dB on this old PC (while still using 1000 for
kern.hz) was setting gamin to use polling every 10 seconds,
instead of having it use instant notification via the kernel,
which is the default. System overhead in general is also reduced
a bit. (Maybe I should try a cantenna in this building.)

That would need a gaminrc file in /etc/gamin

    # notify /mnt/local*
    # poll /example
    # none /example

    # poll /mnt/floppy*
    # poll /mnt/cd*
    # poll /mnt/usb*

    # poll these filesystem types once every NN seconds
    # fsset nfs poll 10
    fsset cd9660 poll 10
    fsset msdosfs poll 10
    fsset ufs poll 10

Since I don't use some of the PC-BSD features any more, I'm not
certain what effect this would have on the usual PC-BSD setup.