[PC-BSD Testing] Automounting of USB drives - Why is it a problem?

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Fri Apr 17 06:52:15 PDT 2009

Jarrod Lee Petz wrote:

>>> I have not had any issues with USB drives auto-mounting on my PC-BSD
>>> installs ever.
>>>
>>> Arthur
>> I have seen my Wife's system crash once in a blue moon, after removing an
>> unmounted USB stick. I think the long-term solution is going to be when we
>> switch over to the new USB2 stack in 8.0. Its being actively developed
>> now, and I know it fixes a lot of issues with my USB keyboard / mice
>> working on some of the latest GigaByte motherboards.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Kris Moore
>> PC-BSD Software
>> http://www.pcbsd.com
>>

> Kris,
>
> I get the same behaviour out of the FreeBSD 7.0 kernel on my Gigabyte
> motherboard. I took me a while to work out that the only way to get the
> Keyboard and mouse working is to
>     - Unplug my keyboard and mouse and plug them back in after the system is
> up.
>     or
>     - Use only the front USB ports instead of the one on the back of the
> motherboard for the Keyboard and mouse.
>
> I can also confirm the new USB stack in FreeBSD 8.0 (200902 snapshot)makes
> everything better. Alas I am a noob and no to good at compiling KDE and so
> forth. Needless to say I can't wait for the early PC-BSD alpha or betas
> based on FreeBSD 8.0. I hope youll kick one out soon even if its very rough
> around the edges.
>
> Regards Jarrod

Yep, thats the exact same issue I've seen here on several of my newer
systems. Its dang annoying, and I don't think its going to be fixed in
7.x, since the USB2 stack probably wont be backported. However it does
work on 8-Current here as well, so I'm eager to get some early snapshots
of 8 building in the next few weeks.

http://www.pcbsd.com