[PC-BSD Testing] Automounting of USB drives - Why is it a problem?

Jarrod Lee Petz petz at nisshoko.net
Fri Apr 17 05:56:56 PDT 2009

>>> Mount usb dev, work with it somehow ( copy there or from), and then NOT
>>> umounted it, remove it.
>>> You'll probably get kernel panic and system crash. This happen in almost
>>> all cases.
>>> While BSD -Stable didn't merge new USB stack, which would behave normal
>>> in such situation, auto-mount not good idea.
>>> That's my IMHO :)
>>>

>>> Sure, but you haven't seen a Mac OS X panic so far, right? Perhaps you
>>> haven't seen/used any Mac, so you are not to blame:-)
>>> All I am wondering about is why it cannot happen in FreeBSD world?
>>
>> I have not had any issues with USB drives auto-mounting on my PC-BSD
>> installs ever.
>>
>> Arthur
>
> I have seen my Wife's system crash once in a blue moon, after removing an
> unmounted USB stick. I think the long-term solution is going to be when we
> switch over to the new USB2 stack in 8.0. Its being actively developed
> now, and I know it fixes a lot of issues with my USB keyboard / mice
> working on some of the latest GigaByte motherboards.
>

> --
>
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> http://www.pcbsd.com

Kris,

I get the same behaviour out of the FreeBSD 7.0 kernel on my Gigabyte
motherboard. I took me a while to work out that the only way to get the
Keyboard and mouse working is to
    - Unplug my keyboard and mouse and plug them back in after the system is
up.
    or
    - Use only the front USB ports instead of the one on the back of the
motherboard for the Keyboard and mouse.

I can also confirm the new USB stack in FreeBSD 8.0 (200902 snapshot)makes
everything better. Alas I am a noob and no to good at compiling KDE and so
forth. Needless to say I can't wait for the early PC-BSD alpha or betas
based on FreeBSD 8.0. I hope youll kick one out soon even if its very rough
around the edges.

Regards Jarrod