[PC-BSD Testing] Automounting of USB drives - Why is it a problem?

Jeff dejamuse at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 16 06:32:02 PDT 2009

I have two different systems with fresh installs of PCBSD and neither will consistently automount any USB device including thumb drives, and an external HD.  One is a seven year old Gateway and the other a four year old Dell.  Both have the device notifier widget.  The USB devices do show up in the info center USB section and the HD additionally in the SCSI list.

The Dell will recognize some thumbdirves but neither will mount the HD.  In PCBSD 1.5.1, I was able to read the HD which was formatted for Windows.

Something screwy with hal.  (Hal: What are you doing Dave?)  [For anyone who remembers 2001, Space Odyssey; Dave is slowly pulling memory modules out, so at least he recognized auto unmount...]  Hal of course, is IBM minus 1.  I'm dating myself.  Ahem...