[PC-BSD Testing] Automounting of USB drives - Why is it a problem?

doverosx at gmail.com doverosx at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 15:55:40 PDT 2009

Rod Clark wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Kris Moore wrote:
>
>> Right now on my system, If I plugin a USB memory stick, the KDE device
>> notifier pops up, and lets me know, and gives me the option to mount, or
>> run other actions on the device. That seems like a pretty reasonable
>> thing to do to me. I only have to click once, and my media is mounted
>> and ready to go.
>>

> Kris,
>
> Yes, the notification box is OK for prompting what to at
> insertion. But it does nothing to prevent crashing on removal,
> which is the more pressing problem. You must be luckier than
> some other people in your choice of USB devices.
>
> Two of my USB drives work well with FreeBSD, including an 8MB
> Sandisk Cruzer Contour. But other USB devices always crash the
> system upon removal, even after properly unmounting. And
> sometimes they crash it merely upon insertion. I'm now buying a
> third SD card reader in hopes that it will let me read the card
> from my Canon camera, after my Sandisk reader caused
> insertion/removal crashes. I'm going to try a Kingston FCR-HS
> 219/1 next.
>
> It would be wonderful if there were a way to scan the device
> first and determine whether it's going to be compatible, and if
> not then politely refuse to recognize it.
>
> -rsc

The reason why FreeBSD doesn't automount with the *default*
configuration is for security purposes and that actually is the reason.
Giving user space access to devices connected to a server (in this
scenario) without any special configuration by root/admins poses a
security risk that the devs don't like, I suppose - and I agree.

Crashing upon removal...filesystem/kernel ???

OSX has NetBSD under the hood, mostly kernel differences (though they
use MACH kernel anyway) from FreeBSD. But that's like explaining why
Linux is different than FreeBSD to people that use Windows.