[PC-BSD Testing] Automounting of USB drives - Why is it a problem?

Rod Clark sc at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Apr 15 09:08:42 PDT 2009

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Kris Moore wrote:
> Right now on my system, If I plugin a USB memory stick, the KDE device
> notifier pops up, and lets me know, and gives me the option to mount, or
> run other actions on the device. That seems like a pretty reasonable
> thing to do to me. I only have to click once, and my media is mounted
> and ready to go.

Kris,

Yes, the notification box is OK for prompting what to at
insertion. But it does nothing to prevent crashing on removal,
which is the more pressing problem. You must be luckier than
some other people in your choice of USB devices.

Two of my USB drives work well with FreeBSD, including an 8MB
Sandisk Cruzer Contour. But other USB devices always crash the
system upon removal, even after properly unmounting. And
sometimes they crash it merely upon insertion. I'm now buying a
third SD card reader in hopes that it will let me read the card
from my Canon camera, after my Sandisk reader caused
insertion/removal crashes. I'm going to try a Kingston FCR-HS
219/1 next.

It would be wonderful if there were a way to scan the device
first and determine whether it's going to be compatible, and if
not then politely refuse to recognize it.

-rsc