[PC-BSD Testing] Automounting of USB drives - Why is it a problem?

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Wed Apr 15 06:42:04 PDT 2009

A.Yerenkow wrote:
> On 15.04.2009 15:48, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM, A.Yerenkow <yerenkow at uct.ua
>> <mailto:yerenkow at uct.ua>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 15.04.2009 15:15, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>>>     On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 3:09 PM, A.Yerenkow <yerenkow at uct.ua
>>>     <mailto:yerenkow at uct.ua>> wrote:

>>>         Mount usb dev, work with it somehow ( copy there or from),
>>>         and then NOT umounted it, remove it.
>>>         You'll probably get kernel panic and system crash. This
>>>         happen in almost all cases.
>>>         While BSD -Stable didn't merge new USB stack, which would
>>>         behave normal in such situation, auto-mount not good idea.
>>>         That's my IMHO :)
>>>

>>>     Sure, but you haven't seen a Mac OS X panic so far, right?
>>>     Perhaps you haven't seen/used any Mac, so you are not to blame:-)
>>>     All I am wondering about is why it cannot happen in FreeBSD world?
>>>
>>     You probably not aware that Apple don't cares at all of FreeBSD,
>>     and simple took it's code, reworked it out and keep it closed.
>>     So, in this OS, partially based on FreeBSD such kernel panics not
>>     happens.
>>     But we are talking not about Mac OS X closed-source internal
>>     things? :) We are talking about "why not >>>  in FreeBSD >>>>".
>>     This _can_ happen in FreeBSD world, we need just some patience,
>>     and wait for new USB-stack being completed and polished.
>>

>> So your contention is that the USB code (usb2 to be precise) is not
>> yet ready on FreeBSD and that is the reason, right?
> My assumption that there must be some reason (which I even couldn't
> know), why it's not yet merged in 7-stable :)
>

>>     We aren't big software company, which if wants some feature to  be
>>     completed in month - hired and _payed_ a lot of workers.
>>     FreeBSD world is volunteers world, and all software here is ready
>>     only when it's ready :)
>>

>> This one I know:-)
>> That is why I am not throwing tantrums.

I guess my one question would be to ask by what you mean with
auto-mounting. Do you mean you want the system to detect, and mount the
media to /mnt/usb or somewhere, or that you want insert notification
like with HAL, that detects when you insert a new device, and asks what
you want to do with it.

Right now on my system, If I plugin a USB memory stick, the KDE device
notifier pops up, and lets me know, and gives me the option to mount, or
run other actions on the device. That seems like a pretty reasonable
thing to do to me. I only have to click once, and my media is mounted
and ready to go.

http://www.pcbsd.com