[PC-BSD Testing] Automounting of USB drives - Why is it a problem?

A.Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Wed Apr 15 05:28:05 PDT 2009

On 15.04.2009 15:15, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 3:09 PM, A.Yerenkow <yerenkow at uct.ua
> <mailto:yerenkow at uct.ua>> wrote:
>
>     On 15.04.2009 14:50, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>>     Hello List,
>>
>>     For some time now, I have been baffled by one thing: Mac OS X
>>     somehow has FreeBSD under the hood. When you connect a USB stick
>>     (flash disk, external drive) to a Mac, it gets automounted, yet
>>     the same does not happen on FreeBSD.
>>     I have seen several questions being asked on this list about this
>>     feature, but the answer is neither here nor there.
>>     There is even a port (sysutils/automounter) that I believe is
>>     supposed to help towards this, but again it's not as easy as it
>>     seems to be.
>>     Now my question is just one: Why should it be this difficult for
>>     FreeBSD to have the automount feature within the base system?
>>     If OS X is doing it, Linux is doing it, FreeBSD can do it.
>>
>     Mount usb dev, work with it somehow ( copy there or from), and
>     then NOT umounted it, remove it.
>     You'll probably get kernel panic and system crash. This happen in
>     almost all cases.
>     While BSD -Stable didn't merge new USB stack, which would behave
>     normal in such situation, auto-mount not good idea.
>     That's my IMHO :)
>

> Sure, but you haven't seen a Mac OS X panic so far, right? Perhaps you
> haven't seen/used any Mac, so you are not to blame:-)
> All I am wondering about is why it cannot happen in FreeBSD world?

You probably not aware that Apple don't cares at all of FreeBSD, and
simple took it's code, reworked it out and keep it closed.
So, in this OS, partially based on FreeBSD such kernel panics not happens.
But we are talking not about Mac OS X closed-source internal things? :)
We are talking about "why not >>>  in FreeBSD >>>>".
This _can_ happen in FreeBSD world, we need just some patience, and wait
for new USB-stack being completed and polished.
We aren't big software company, which if wants some feature to  be
completed in month - hired and _payed_ a lot of workers.
FreeBSD world is volunteers world, and all software here is ready only
when it's ready :)