[PC-BSD Testing] Automounting of USB drives - Why is it a problem?

A.Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Wed Apr 15 05:09:34 PDT 2009

On 15.04.2009 14:50, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> For some time now, I have been baffled by one thing: Mac OS X somehow
> has FreeBSD under the hood. When you connect a USB stick (flash disk,
> external drive) to a Mac, it gets automounted, yet the same does not
> happen on FreeBSD.
> I have seen several questions being asked on this list about this
> feature, but the answer is neither here nor there.
> There is even a port (sysutils/automounter) that I believe is supposed
> to help towards this, but again it's not as easy as it seems to be.
> Now my question is just one: Why should it be this difficult for
> FreeBSD to have the automount feature within the base system?
> If OS X is doing it, Linux is doing it, FreeBSD can do it.

Mount usb dev, work with it somehow ( copy there or from), and then NOT
umounted it, remove it.
You'll probably get kernel panic and system crash. This happen in almost
all cases.
While BSD -Stable didn't merge new USB stack, which would behave normal
in such situation, auto-mount not good idea.
That's my IMHO :)