[PC-BSD Testing] Automounting of USB drives - Why is it a problem?

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 04:50:03 PDT 2009

Hello List,

For some time now, I have been baffled by one thing: Mac OS X somehow has
FreeBSD under the hood. When you connect a USB stick (flash disk, external
drive) to a Mac, it gets automounted, yet the same does not happen on
FreeBSD.
I have seen several questions being asked on this list about this feature,
but the answer is neither here nor there.
There is even a port (sysutils/automounter) that I believe is supposed to
help towards this, but again it's not as easy as it seems to be.
Now my question is just one: Why should it be this difficult for FreeBSD to
have the automount feature within the base system?
If OS X is doing it, Linux is doing it, FreeBSD can do it.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,