[PC-BSD Testing] Update to 7.1 can't find partition

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Apr 13 13:31:59 PDT 2009

Jeff wrote:
> Some more thoughts...
>
> PCBSD has always had issues with updating systems with custom partitions.  I've been bitten several times in the past.  Sometimes it would work and some not, oddly depending on the relative size of the various partitions - I could never make any sense of it.
>
> I am running a development server and probably could live with a single partition but would like to know why this problem persists.  I'm afraid if I start over with a fresh install of 7.1 release and custom partition my drive again, I'll have upgrade issues in the future - been there, suffered that.
>
> Here is a good explanation of the hows and whys of custom partitioning:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=tuning&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.0-RELEASE+and+Ports&format=html
>
> Why partition at all?
>
> to nicely size a partition for a weird backup scheme that cannot handle unusually large backup dumps.
> to protect the space needed by something (particularly the base system) from being stepped on by other programs
> to limit particularly hungry programs from stepping on the space of everything else.
>
> The disk size they are working with in that advice from the FreeBSD handbook is obviously a bit dated, so just scale things up.  I initially allowed 10GB for the root partition which included everything in the PCBSD directory (~4GB) but not the programs (PBIs) and home directories which are linked to /usr.
>
> Of course, now that drives are ginormous, running out of room particularly on just a development server, is less likely, but I just wanted to do things by the book.  And of course someone may want to actually run a server using the 'server edition' of PCBSD and will be royally ticked off if an upgrade fails to find the partitions!
>
> More partitioning advice here:
>
> http://bsdpants.blogspot.com/2007/01/install-tip-disklabel-partitions.html
>
> http://www.freebsdwiki.net/index.php/Hard_Disk_Partition_Sizes
>
> http://forums.pcbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10480

Jeff,

I didn't realize that the upgrade detection was that bad messed up when
custom partitions are being used. I didn't dig too deeply into it for
this release, because we are getting ready to merge in a brand new
system installer, and I'm going to be re-checking and improving all that
related code when we do so.

That being said, I do think we need better support when using custom
partitions, since I think for advanced users and servers it makes
complete sense. Would you be willing to help me test this out when we
get some test ISO's rolled here in the future? We're going to be moving
our build servers to a new colo here soon, and with the bandwidth we'll
be able to roll weekly snapshots of 7.2 and 8-Current. Once we get them
in place, I'll merge in the new installer and we can start testing these
various types of setups.

http://www.pcbsd.com