[PC-BSD Testing] 7.1 Gold!

Arthur a-koziol at neiu.edu
Fri Apr 10 15:11:06 PDT 2009

Kris,

Being home on FMLA leave I had a chance to throw 7.1 on a spare SATA
drive. WOW! Amazing!
On my old clunker (Athlon XP 3200, 2GB RAM, GeforceFX 5600 256MB), it
FLIES. Considerably
faster than my work "abuse box." In any case, just a couple things I
noticed when kicking the tires.

1. Updater tray icon refreshing weirdness: Got all the app updates
and the two system updates
fine. Opera must have had an issue with it's PBI but it did download
a few hours after I installed 7.1.
The tray icon however would still show the purple triangle being the
green checkmark. After I rebooted
to see if it would get rid of the purple triangle, I saw it get
weirder. Please have a look at the attached
image (tray.jpg) to see what it did. Currently, it is fine.

2. When going into System Settings > Display and clicking on Gamma,
it shuts down, but no crash
or error message. That did work before. Maybe a KDE thing, or my
setup? Can anyone else out there
replicate this on their end?

3. KDE 4.2.2 is super snappy, loads to desktop much faster than in
7.1RC1 and 4.2.1. Good call on that!

4. Maybe an aesthetical thingy or overlooked typo: In System Settings
on the Selected PC-BSD Kernel,
it's still referencing PC-BSD 7.0 and BSD 7.0 stuff. I don't know if
that text can be edited to show the
right info but just thought I'd mention it in case someone out there
thought they installed PC-BSD 7.1
but there's a conspiracy out there and it's secretly based on 7.0. :-D

More as it comes.

Arthur