[PC-BSD Testing] 7.1 Gold!

yerenkow at uct.ua yerenkow at uct.ua
Fri Apr 10 02:55:25 PDT 2009

Well, let's go :)
I have here i386
Updated ok, after update downloaded two patches, all ok;
Didn't full test yet :-P

I have here amd64
1. Upgrade option looks for any installed PC-BSD on system, and not
telling me which one is (i386 or amd64) - not cool :)
2. Skype PBI's desktop icon always want to be run as root - why is that? :)

3. After ntfs update I could mount my ntfs drives (both labeled and not)
just fine! Hurray!
4. radeonhd driver 1.2.5 is out, with slight performance update, it's
already in ports,  I've installed it and get laggish desktop;
I found xorg.conf needed to be added few lines, here's my section
Section "Device"
    Identifier      "Card0"
    Screen           0
    Driver         "radeonhd"
    VendorName     "Radeon Video Driver"
    Option         "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
    Option         "AccelMethod" "EXA"
    BusID      "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option "TexturedVideo" "Off"
    Option "DRI" "on"
    Option "EnablePageFlip" "1"
    Option "ColorTiling" "1"
    Option "DisplayPriority" "high"
EndSection

After that I found very interesting thing! I've 720p video, which was
flickering (broken edges sometimes) with both radeonhd 1.2.4 and latest
windows drivers;
Flickering happened in almost same places/times in video, under both
OSes, so I gave up.
But this flickering is missing in new driver 1.2.5 - I've checked many
times, and that's awesome :)
(Interesting that heavy 1080p videos (such as LOTR three parts, each
about 26-32 Gb) didn't flicker almost at all, in both OSes too; even
under PC-BSD from NTFS partition :) )

Kris, can we set up new PBI for testing purposes only, which will always
follow git sources of xorg, all drivers and all dependencies, and not
ports-one?
I think some of peoples would do use this PBI to be on cutting edge and
will help improve by bugsumitting. I think at least I'll do :)

5. About USB install; I think of propose to user one additional option:
copy archives to HDD firstly, if there enough space, and extract it from
there, and not from media;
This should speedup whole install process for users, who have slow
USB/CD/DVDs; unpacking both archives from flash tooks for me about 1,5-2
hours, while copy these files took only few minutes.

6. Ports fetching still have encoding issue: see attach

7. Xterm don't work for me; So fluxbox not very useful:
> [user at pcbsd /usr/home/user]$ xterm
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libXft.so.2" not found, required
> by "xterm"
> [user at pcbsd /usr/home/user]$ whereis libXft.so.2
> libXft.so.2:
I think something wrong with LD

8. Java apps can't find /usr/local/etc/javavms  ,  so I linked it there
- all works now;

I think that's enough for now, will go work now :D

P.S. PC-BSD almost full-featured as for me, I think year-two more, and
I'll switch totally.