[PC-BSD Testing] rc.conf getting ignored?

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Apr 7 11:59:49 PDT 2009

Jeff wrote:
> I seems rc.conf is getting ignored or something.  None of my enabled daemons are starting.
>
> I added:
>
> webmin_enable="YES"
> mysql_enable="YES"
> apache22_enable="YES"
>
> I have to manually start these daemons.
>
> This also reminds me of a problem PCBSD has had for a long time:
>
> The boot splash doesn't work until you manually enable it in loader.conf by deleting the comment hashes.

Jeff,

Did you install these apps via a PBI or ports? If you install them via
ports, you need to make a sym-link from /usr/local/etc/rc.d/<script> ->
/PCBSD/local/etc/rc.d/

The problem is that we don't parse /usr/local/etc/rc.d by default, since
if you have duplicate scripts in /PCBSD/local/etc/rc.d and
/usr/local/etc/rc.d, both will get run, often with disastrous results :)
This is set in /etc/rc.conf.local BTW.

As for the boot-splash, that is correct. We have it disabled right now
because on a sizable number of systems, we ran into problems with it
enabled, and it messing up Xorg starting, often would freeze system, or
crash. I'll be testing defaulting to the splash again in the future, and
hopefully these issues have been resolved now :)

http://www.pcbsd.com