[PC-BSD Testing] FW: Portsnap fetch extract

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Apr 7 09:41:35 PDT 2009

Kenneth Billis wrote:
> Experienced the same problems after reinstalling RC1 (on a SATA drive and
> also on an IDE drive).
>
> Repeated the exercise with 1.5.1 (to try to establish whether there was a
> fault with my computer) and everything worked fine.
>
> Ken Billis

Ken,

Can you do a few more tests for me, so we can try to pinpoint where the
failure is occuring? I've not been able to duplicate the error here, I
run portsnap frequently with no issues.

We need to determine if this is a bug with FBSD 7.x, Xorg 7.4, your X
driver, or Konsole specifically.

Lets run a few tests:

First, try running from the console:

ctl-alt-f1
login as root
# rm -rf /usr/ports
# portsnap fetch extract update

If that works, then lets try to see if its a driver issue in Xorg:

Switch back to the GUI:
ctl-alt-f9
Bring up xterm:
alt-f2 -> xterm