[PC-BSD Testing] Atheros tested

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Sep 23 05:58:25 PDT 2008

wa5qjh wrote:
> I did already test the drivers. and still it froze up unless I ran in
> boot option 3 "Safe Mode', in which case it seemed to run indefinitly.
> Wish I knew just what safe mode is as applies to PCBSD.
>  But may have other problems too. I removed an unneeded pci IDE card
> from the system and at first it seemed to run for several hours without
> the driver change. but since then, the freeze-up are real quick. Almost
> like the computer has a heat problem cause the longer the computer runs,
> the shorter the time between boot-up and freeze-up in normal mode..
>   Yesterday I installed what was supposed to be my new "main"
> installation on one  of 4 partitions. Altho it installed fine, suddenly
> the other two BSD partitions  got thier sub-partition ( slices )
> relocated and I can no longer boot to them even after changing the
> entries in their respective /etc/fstab's.  The first boot menu says
> "Invalid Partition" if I press F3 or F4.
> Gary

The "safe" mode feature does this (from /boot/beastie.4th):

                 dup bootsafekey @ = if
                         s" arch-i386" environment? if
                                 drop
                                 s" acpi_load" unsetenv
                                 s" 1" s" hint.acpi.0.disabled" setenv
                                 s" 1" s" loader.acpi_disabled_by_user"
setenv
                                 s" 1" s" hint.apic.0.disabled" setenv
                         then
                         s" 0" s" hw.ata.ata_dma" setenv
                         s" 0" s" hw.ata.atapi_dma" setenv
                         s" 0" s" hw.ata.wc" setenv
                         s" 0" s" hw.eisa_slots" setenv
                         s" 1" s" hint.kbdmux.0.disabled" setenv
                         0 boot
                 then

You could try setting some of those options to 1, or 0 depending to
determine which it is that fixes the freezing. Place the new entries
into /boot/loader.conf (in case of acpi_load) or /etc/sysctl.conf

As for the partitioning, I think I've figured out where that bug is
coming from. I will be testing it out here, and applying a bugfix to the
ISO in the next week or two.

Thanks!

http://www.pcbsd.com