[PC-BSD Testing] Atheros driver vs Belkin USB wifi

A. Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Thu Sep 18 08:58:51 PDT 2008

On Thursday 18 September 2008 17:45:13 you wrote:
> Gary B. Corell wrote:
> > Hi Folks:
> >  Yesterday I reported that I was having trouble with pre-Release (
> > 09142008 ) and the atheros driver. after much re-installing and
> > installing of Beta 1, I think I can confirm a problem with the atheros
> > driver. After a very SHORT period the computer freezes SOLID. requiring
> > a full power-cycle. The problem even occured when I booted to "Safe
> > mode" #3 in the bootmenu. Note: this card has wroked with all the Alpha
> > releases and is working now with a 6.3 install and a PCBSD 1.5.1
> > install. I have had a Belkin USB wifi plugged in all this time too but
> > not being used. right now with prelease 09142008 I am using that device
> > rum0.How bout that? an alcoholic computer. oh well! but it is working so
> > it doesnt seem to be a release problem just a driver problem.
> > Gary Corell
>
> We did upgrade the atheros driver shortly before release, so it sounds
> like its causing a regression in your case. You can try this to replace it:
>
> 1. Install 7-final
> 2. Run cvsup to grab system source
>
> # cp /PCBSD/conf/PCBSD.i386 /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/PCBSD.i386
> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildkernel installkernel KERNCONF=PCBSD.i386
>
> Can you confirm that it fixes it?
>
> Alexander, did you try 7-final yet, is the updated atheros driver
> working on your system? If it appears broken everywhere else, I can
> issue a kernel update rolling it back to the previous version.

Kris,
I'm on 7-final, all ok; I think that new driver fails to work with some
specific cards, not with all.

I'm currently building three version of ath *.ko's
old one (0.9.*) - which in sources
current (0.10.5.6) - which in Final
head (0.10.5.10) - I'll try from HEAD.
Will send all these files to Gary for testing.

Gary B. Corell,
could you please go to System Settings, open PC-BSD System Manager, and
generate info, save it and send it here?