[PC-BSD Testing] Atheros driver vs Belkin USB wifi

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Thu Sep 18 07:45:13 PDT 2008

Gary B. Corell wrote:
> Hi Folks:
>  Yesterday I reported that I was having trouble with pre-Release (
> 09142008 ) and the atheros driver. after much re-installing and
> installing of Beta 1, I think I can confirm a problem with the atheros
> driver. After a very SHORT period the computer freezes SOLID. requiring
> a full power-cycle. The problem even occured when I booted to "Safe
> mode" #3 in the bootmenu. Note: this card has wroked with all the Alpha
> releases and is working now with a 6.3 install and a PCBSD 1.5.1
> install. I have had a Belkin USB wifi plugged in all this time too but
> not being used. right now with prelease 09142008 I am using that device
> rum0.How bout that? an alcoholic computer. oh well! but it is working so
> it doesnt seem to be a release problem just a driver problem.
> Gary Corell

We did upgrade the atheros driver shortly before release, so it sounds
like its causing a regression in your case. You can try this to replace it:

1. Install 7-final
2. Run cvsup to grab system source

# cp /PCBSD/conf/PCBSD.i386 /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/PCBSD.i386
# cd /usr/src
# make buildkernel installkernel KERNCONF=PCBSD.i386

Can you confirm that it fixes it?

Alexander, did you try 7-final yet, is the updated atheros driver
working on your system? If it appears broken everywhere else, I can
issue a kernel update rolling it back to the previous version.