[PC-BSD Testing] No launchey after changing DNS

David Reedy Jr davidrjr at comcast.net
Tue Sep 16 20:27:02 PDT 2008

Hi all, new to the list.

I just installed 7.0 release today and I've run into a few problems.
I'll send separate emails for each.

First off, I have a small home network. My FreeBSD 7.0 server runs,
among other things, dnsmasq
(http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html). The way I have it
configured, it basically just answers for anything in the hosts file and
everything else gets forwarded to my ISP's upstream name servers.
Pointing my Windows box at the server has worked fine.

When I went into Network System Configuration (I think that's what it
was called), I changed the DNS servers and changed the host name. After
applying the change, no application would launch afterwards. No bouncey
cursor, no nothing. I had to reboot the machine. Upon reboot, the host
name change remained, but the DNS servers had reverted back to the
upstreams, and I was able to launch applications again.

Any ideas?