Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 16:43:23 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 6:38 PM,  <testing-request at lists.pcbsd.org> wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 00:38:31 +0200
> From: "milanisko k" <vetrisko at gmail.com>
> Subject: [PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD7: network (iwi + installation) + xorg
>        (intel  + synaptics + kdm) trouble
>
> I send here a list of thigs not working for me:
> -Synaptics (tapping) isnt't working (works with the synaptic driver in
> linux)
> -no option to change host name (network settings) while installing the
> system
> -no chance to change the kdm log-in screen (in the Advanced control panel
> tab no "unlock" button to be able to change defaults)
> -wireless not working: fconfig says:
> *[milan at pcbsd /usr/home/milan]$ ifconfig iwi0
> iwi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
>        ether: # -- removed from here
>        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect
>       * status: no carrier*
>        ssid oxyd channel 1 (2412 Mhz 11g)
>        authmode OPEN privacy OFF bmiss 10 scanvalid 60 bgscan
>        bgscanintvl 300 bgscanidle 250 roam:rssi11g 7 roam:rate11g 5
>        protmode CTS
> *Though the ssid being there I still can't just use it (via the dhclient) -
> works with linux (just typing: *dhclient eth1*)
> -the intel graphics driver isn't working on my laptop and the vesa driver
> doesn't support the *1400x1050* resolution: see the attachment
>
> Good news section:
> Even though not utilizing the intel driver, the "idle" CPU usage dropped
> from the "alpha" 50% to a "stable" "x<10%" :)
>
> thanks,
> milan

Reply:  I have an a Acer Travelmate 4001 laptop.  Specs include a P4 @
1.5 GHz, Intel Centrino chipset, Synaptic touch pad and intel wireless
"iwi" and I am running PCBSD 7.0 Final (15 Sep 2008).

1.  My Synaptic touch pad is fully functional under PCBSD 7.0 and
accepts single and double tapping to anchor the cursor, select a
choice, or open a file or program.

2.  My iwi functions very well.  Here is the output from ifconfig for
my working iwi0:

iwi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether ##:##:##:##:##:##
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (OFDM/54Mbps)
        status: associated
        ssid W2a8u6g4h4 channel 1 (2412 Mhz 11g) bssid 00:11:50:21:d9:cc
        authmode OPEN privacy ON deftxkey 1 wepkey 1:40-bit bmiss 10
        scanvalid 60 bgscan bgscanintvl 300 bgscanidle 250 roam:rssi11g 7
        roam:rate11g 5 protmode CTS roaming MANUAL

When our outputs are compared and contrasted, you do not show the
"inet" containing IP, netmask, and broadcast.  For example,  inet
192.168.2.5 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255.  I also note
that your configuration does not report a security key.  For example,
my configuration includes "deftxkey 1 wepkey 1:40-bit"  Perhaps the
absence of any of these results explains why you are getting a "no
carrier" message.

Did you select DHCP or alternatively input the gateway IP, netmask,
and laptop IP?  Did you configure security with a key code?  Does the
wireless connect if you input the critical components with ifconfig?
For example, this configures my wireless:

ifconfig iwi0 inet 192.168.2.20 netmask 0xffffff00 ssid W2a8u6g4h4
wepmode on wepkey 0x0102030405 weptxkey 1

3.  Changing the hostname:

At the end of the file /etc/rc.conf are a group of network
configuration settings:

hostname="pcbsd"
ifconfig_bfe0="DHCP"
ifconfig_iwi0="WPA DHCP"

You can open this file as root and edit it to replace "pcbsd" with the
host name you want.  You can edit from a terminal:

%su
Password: <type in password> <Enter>
ee /etc/rc.conf

You can use Start > Applications > System > File Manager Administrator

then navigate to /etc/rc.conf, right click and open with Kwrite to
make the edit with a GUI.

Ian Robinson