[PC-BSD Testing] R.I.P. KDE or Interface Effects with SIS

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Sep 15 05:59:15 PDT 2008

flat.rose wrote:
> Since now I can run kde4 but on startup I get few errors like "couldn't
> launch desktop:/ protocol" and "Couldnt find systray icon". No kwin working
> for apps, no icons and no text in plasma. Have no idea what's the problem is
> now. =\
>
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 12:39 PM, flat. rose <flat.rose at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The only thing that pulled me away from using fluxbox was rmdir ~/.kde4;
>> Now when I open System Settings -> Appearance, I can not see any Icons tab
>> (also there're no icons at all in my system now), then I can't see the
>> "Special Effects" menu - there's nothing available in systemsettings. Icons
>> were gone even before crash - after enabling those effects they slightly
>> `faded off my system` (firstable all icons has turned into low-res crystal
>> style, then they were gone at all). Well, it almost works I think... enought
>> to keep waiting for the final release of Fibonacci and reinstall my system
>> then. Thanks for help, DragonFlier!

Well, the 7-final is available now on some of our mirrors. You can grab
it and re-install if you like. But for the record, if you run into this
kind of problem again, don't remove all of .kde4, rather just do this:

# cd ~/.kde4/share/config
# vi kwinrc

Look for these lines, and change true to false:

[Compositing]
Enabled=true

http://www.pcbsd.com