[PC-BSD Testing] Vanishing partition during installation

Walt Pawley walt at wump.org
Sun Sep 14 11:50:18 PDT 2008

I recently installed PCBSD7-beta-1 on a box here and
encountered a peculiar behavior in the process.

During my first boot of the DVD, I decided to look at the
partition arrangement on both of the two SATA hard disks I have
in the box. Clicking on the first drive, all three partitions
I'd previously created appeared, the third of which is where I
intended to put PCBSD. I clicked the second drive to look at
its partition structure (two - they were fine).

Then I clicked back to the first drive, thinking I'd select the
third partition and proceed with the install. But the third
partition did not reappear. I clicked about some to see if that
made any difference and finally decided to reboot on the DVD.

When it arrived at the partition selection window, I clicked
the first drive. All three partitions appeared once again. I
selected the third and continued the install, which proceeded
uneventfully and appears to work just fine.
--

Walter M. Pawley <walt at wump.org>
Wump Research & Company