[PC-BSD Testing] R.I.P. KDE or Interface Effects with SIS

flat.rose flat.rose at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 11:45:45 PDT 2008

I'm not able to run kwin, plasma and other desktop applications. The reason
is I've enabled additional Interface Options in system settings. I have acer
TravelMate 2310 which is packed with SIS video adapter and the last time I
did that (it was on OpenSuse 11) my system instantly crashed and has booted
next time in console mode. Those effects (shadows, blur, etc...) was working
for me only on Fedora Core 9 linux.

The current situation is that I can boot the system; then I see the login
window. After bootsplash I have only two applications running - gimp and
firefox. I cannot run anything because I have nothing but this 2
applications on my screen. Please, check the compatibility between special
KDE effects and SIS-based videoadapters like mine.

So, from now to continue using pc-bsd I need to remove those effects from my
drive. I guess I have to Ctrl-Alt-F1 and nuke some dir to reset my kde
settings. If anybody ever had a problem like mine, tell me how to revive my
desktop, please.

Thank you.