[PC-BSD Testing] Networked Printers

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 17:19:34 PDT 2008

Bill Leeper said:

. . .  on the subject of printing:

Either I am doing something wrong or the fix does not work. After
applying the fix trying to print will now crash Firefox. Before it
just did not print.

Having done a bit more checking the fault seems to be that I don't
have a LPR, but rather a network laser.

Bill -- I have networked printers (HP LaserJets 4, 4Si, 5Si, 5C) all
set to a fixed TCP/IP address of course and I use the CUPS interface.
Up through the release of Firefox 2.xx things had worked perfectly.
With the Firefox 3 upgrade, the printing dialog defaults to a "lpr"
command. Attempts to print crash and close Firefox.  If I replaced the
"lpr" command with either a "kprinter" command or a
"/usr/local/bin/lp" command, I could print. However, that requires
that I enter the command each time, click OK, wait an almost
unbearable amount of time for a second print dialogue window to come
up, and click through yet another OK button.

Kris' fix makes things work great with networked printers that use
CUPS.  I wonder what kind of printer you have and how it is
configured?

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio